- Advertising and the Media
- Applied Social Psychology
- Cults and Propaganda
- Family and Romantic Relationships
- Albert Bandura
- Site provides a "biographical sketch" of Albert Bandura.
- Bill Trochim's Center for Social Research Methods
- For those interested in conducting applied social research, this site provides a wealth of resources; for both beginners and more advanced researchers.
- Canada's Drug Strategy
- Site provides information about injection drugs; marijuana; and the relation between drugs and youth, seniors, Aboriginal people, and fetal alcohol syndrome.
- Center for Nonverbal Studies
- The Center for Nonverbal Studies has provided an online dictionary of nonverbal communication.
- Cognitive Dissonance Theory
- Article discusses Leon Festinger's cognitive dissonance theory and includes his hypotheses about how to create dissonance and examples of cognitive dissonance.
- Communication Studies, Cultural Studies, and Media Studies InfoBase
- Site provides articles about many topics related to social psychology. The topics include conformity, deindividuation, diffusion of responsibility, obedience, rebellion, minority influence, conflict resolution, and advertising among many others.
- Culture, Cognition, and Evolution
- Article relates the development of cognition to culture and evolution.
- Current Research in Social Psychology
- Site has online articles about current issues in social psychology.
- Drug Reform Coordination Network
- Site provides links to articles and news about events that occur concerning drug reform.
- EServer.org: Accessible Online Publishing
- Site lists electronic papers and texts that discuss and address gender studies and related issues. Topics include sex, gender, sexual identity and sexuality, and cultural practices. This is a great place to begin research for a term paper or project.
- Excuses, Emotions, and In Between
- This site looks at how excuses affect the listener.
- How What You Say Can Reflect You
- This article discusses how other people have a tendency to apply the attributes of a statement you say about somebody else to you.
- Human Communication Lab
- Columbia University's human communication lab provides background information about communication research in progress.
- Le Bon, Gustave (1841-1931)
- This page at Project Gutenberg has two of Le Bon's electronic texts that have been influential in social psychology: The Crowd and The Psychology of Revolution.
- Mind Tools--Time Management Skills
- Site discusses the importance of using time effectively, controlling distractions, and how to create more time.
- Parapsychology Association, Inc.
- The Parapsychology Association, Inc.'s website provides an overview of the topics included in parapsychology and also provides links to relevant journal articles.
- Population Density, Infanticide, and Social Pathology
- This article discusses John Calhoun's classic experiment with rats where "he created high-density populations in which aggression, infanticide, and infant neglect became rampant.".
- Procrastination Research Group
- "This web site provides access to information and research related to procrastination. Although our site originates at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, it represents a compilation of information and research on procrastination from all over the world."
- Psychology, Culture, and Evolution
- This site discusses consciousness; the evolution of the brain, consciousness, language, and sociality; sleep paralysis; and nocturnal hallucinations.
- Site provides a description of self-efficacy, a comparison to self-esteem, and a number of links to related web sites.
- Social Facilitation
- Site allows you to manipulate the variables in this experiment about social facilitation.
- Social Learning Theory
- Article discusses Bandura's social learning theory and includes the topics of television violence, attention, retention, and motivation.
- Social Psychology
- This site provides links concerning many areas of social psychology including the topics of nature versus nurture, the needs of selves and societies, social factors affecting perceptions and decision making, the psychology of social institutions, and the psychology of modernization.
- Social Psychology Basics
- Site discusses person perception, self defense, prejudice, social expectation, conformity, sociobiology, social learning, social economics, and persuasion.
- Social Psychology Network
- Provides a variety of links to psychology organizations, U.S. schools with psychology Ph.D. programs, and social-psychological topics of the day.
- Social Psychology as Social Construction: The Emerging Vision
- Article discusses some of the challenges faced by social psychology.
- Stanford Prison Experiment
- Presents a slide show and related information about the classic Stanford Prison Experiment.
- The Inquisitive Mind
- In-Mind is a journal dedicated to making our discipline with accessible for everyone. We explore every day concerns such as love, motivation, or religion.
- Traffic Psychology
- Site provides information about the history of traffic psychology, theories about driving behaviour, road rage, and other topics.
Advertising and the Media
- National Television Violence Study
- Article presents some facts about violence on television.
Applied Social Psychology
- 10 Myths About Affirmative Action
- This article disputes 10 myths that exist about affirmative action.
- Advertising at the University of Texas
- This site maintained by the University of Texas provides links to many advertising related web sites.
- Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse (CCSA)
- Provides information relevant to minimizing the harm that may result from the use of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs.
- Classical Leadership
- At this website, you will be provided with summaries of trait, behavioural, contingency, situational, and transformational approaches to leadership.
- Cultural Continuity as a Protective Factor Against Suicide in First Nation Youth
- This article provides a nice summary of Chandler and Lalonde's article, "Cultural Continuity as a Hedge Against Suicide in Canada's First Nations.".
- Depression in the Workplace
- This article describes what depression is, how it affects work, how unsatisfactory work conditions cause depression, and what can be done to correct the problem.
- Early Warning, Timely Response: A Guide to Safe Schools
- "This guide presents a brief summary of the research on violence prevention and intervention and crisis response in schools."
- Evaluation Research
- An overview of various aspects of evaluation research can be found at this site including information about planning an evaluation cycle, developing an evaluation culture, types of evaluation, evaluation strategies, and evaluation questions and methods.
- Fred Edward Fiedler
- A brief biography is presented about Fred Edward Fiedler as well as a brief, but cohesive overview of his LPC theory.
- Gender in Advertising
- This site provides examples of advertisements which use gender stereotypes to advertise their products.
- Internal Validity Tutorial
- Athabasca University tutorial, written by Dr. David Polson, teaches the principles of the design of psychological experiments; part of Athabasca University's Experimental Psychology course.
- Jigsaw Classroom
- Elliot Aronson has created this website to provide information about the jigsaw classroom. An overview of the history of the jigsaw classroom and links to related websites are included.
- Kurt Lewin: Groups, Experiential Learning, and Action Research
- This site provides an overview of Kurt Lewin's life and his research. The topics covered in this website include field theory, group dynamics, democracy and groups, t-groups, and action research.
- Meta-Analysis of Research Studies
- "This page is intended to help you learn more about meta-analysis by providing you with an overview; links to relevant documents and resources; and free, high-quality software."
- Multisystemic Therapy
- This website provides information about multisystemic therapy which is a form of therapy intended to prevent violence in serious, violent, and chronic juvenile offenders.
- National Youth Violence Prevention Resource Center
- This resource guide provides a list of online resources that are related to youth violence prevention.
- On Being a Scientist: Responsible Conduct in Research
- This online book discusses common issues that people should be aware of when conducting research.
- PTSD and Relationships
- Articles discusses how traumatic experiences such as domestic violence that result in post-traumatic stress disorder can affect a person's relationships others.
- Quasi-Experimental Design
- Various approaches to quasi-experimental designs are explored in this site including non-equivalent group design and regression-discontinuity design. As well, topics such as internal validity and advances in quasi-experimental design are discussed.
- Research Methods Knowledge Base
- This comprehensive web-based textbook discusses sampling, measurement, research design, data analysis, validity, reliability, and ethics, as well has how to develop a research question and write a research paper.
- Research Methods in Evaluation and Social Research
- Links to free online books, manuals, and articles on how to do evaluation and social research, including surveys, interviews, observations and more. Also links to research about research methods, free software, and sites on how to present data. This site also has a review of free statistical resources.
- Site provides links to a number of websites concerning sexism and violence toward women.
- Sexuality in the Mass Media: How to View the Media Critically
- Article discusses how the display of sexuality in the media may affect the people who watch it. The article also suggests the questions a person should ask when viewing the media critically.
- Steve's Primer of Practical Persuasion and Influence
- This tutorial provides a summary of the various theories that exist to explain how people can be persuaded and influenced.
- Survey Design/Questionnaire Design
- This site provides an overview of some of the different aspects of survey and questionnaire design. A discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of using various types of surveys and questions is included.
- Treatment of Adolescents with Substance Use Disorders
- This online book provides information about substance abuse disorders in adolescents and about various treatment issues and options.
- What is Battered Woman's Syndrome?
- This article provides a description of Battered Woman's Syndrome, its use in courts, and the effects that domestic violence has on children.
- Work in the 21st Century: Implications for Job Analysis
- This article provides some information about job analysis and its current role in today's working world.
- Youth Drinking: Risk Factors and Consequences
- Article presents a number of developmental and psychosocial risk factors for youth drinking and substance use as well as some of the possible consequences.
Cults and Propaganda
- AFF's Home Page
- "AFF is a secular, not-for-profit, tax-exempt research center and educational organization founded in 1979. AFF's mission is to study psychological manipulation and cultic groups, to educate the public and professionals, and to assist those who have been adversely affected by a cult experience.".
- Group Dynamics
- Site provides resources concerning group dynamics.
- Article provides information about Irving Janis' theory of groupthink.
- What Messages Are Behind Today's Cults?
- Article discusses the appeal that cults have to their members.
Family and Romantic Relationships
- Love--A Chemical Affair
- Article discusses how various chemicals are associated with different stages of love.
- Marriage and Family Processes
- Site discusses the cultural factors which shape family structure, relationships, parenting, and family forms.
- Psychology of Love: An Introduction
- Site provides links to a number of articles about love. The articles discuss the historical background of love, current psychological theories of love, Freud's psychoanalytic theory of love, and attachment theories of love.
- Gender Gallery
- Site highlights popular media related to issues of gender and sexual orientation. It also provides links to online discussions, organizations, and resources.
Please take a moment and tell us what you think of this resource
by filling in our feedback form.