- Emotion and Motivation
- Sleep and Dreaming
- A Role for Ovarian Hormones in Sexual Differentiation of the Brain
- Article discusses "activational effects, androgens, corpus callosum, estrogen, female default hypothesis, feminization, masculinization, organizational effects, sensitive periods,sexual differentiation, [and] testosterone."
- Alcohol and the Brain
- This article takes a brief look at the possible mechanisms by which alcohol effects the brain. It looks at the lipid theory, the protein theory, and the various neurotransmitters which may facilitate the absorption of alcohol.
- Association for Applied Psychophysiology & Biofeedback
- This site provides information about what biofeedback is, what neurofeedback is, what psychophysiology is, and what problems biofeedback can correct.
- Biology of Stress
- Article discusses the biological basis of stress.
- Brain Evolution and Neurolinguistic Preconditions
- This article discusses "the biology of language, conceptual structure, evolution, Homo Habilis, language acquisition, neurolinguistics, origin of language, paleoneurology, preadaptation, [and] sensorimotor feedback.
- Bridging the Brain Gap
- This article discusses the relation between the brain and social trust.
- Civilization and Insanity
- This article discusses how people believed that mental illness increased in frequency based on how primitive an ethnic group's brain was and by how civilized they were.
- Cortical Neuron-Astrocyte Interaction
- Site reviews neuronal and astrocyte interactions and the effects they have in the body.
- Doreen Kimura -- Behavioural Psychologist
- Site describes the research interest of Dr. Kimura and her work in biologically based sex differences in behavior; part of an interesting series of profiles of great Canadian scientists at Simon Fraser University.
- Drugs, Brains, and Behavior
- This online book discusses topics that include the behavior and chemistry of the brain, psychopharmacological concepts, fear and anxiety, pain, depression, schizophrenia, arousal, tolerance, drug abuse, and habitual behaviors.
- Evolutionary Psychology: A Primer
- This article provides an introduction to evolutionary psychology. It discusses James' theory of instinct, five essential principles of evolutionary psychology, the design of organisms, nature and nurture, and reasoning instincts.
- Nailing Down Pheromones
- This article discusses the discovery of two pheromones in women.
- Probe the Brain
- Site lets you probe the brain to discover what area of the brain controls which part of your body.
- SALMON Study and Learning Materials On-Line for Physiological Psychology
- Site provides information about neurotransmission, depression, hormones and stress, sexual behaviour, sex differentiation, ethology, aggression, learned helplessness, drug tolerance, and drug addiction.
- Scent of Eros
- Site markets a book concerned with the influence of odor on sexual behaviour and also has links to other related sites.
- The Mind Uploading Home Page
- "The Mind Uploading home page is dedicated to the putative future process of copying one's mind from the natural substrate of the brain into an artificial one, manufactured by humans. This technology will radically alter society in many ways, as science fiction authors have begun to illustrate.".
- Tinnitus Location Found in the Brain
- Article discusses the discovery of where tinnitus is registered in the brain. Tinnitus is a "chronic sensation of loud ringing in the ears.".
- Weight Control and Obesity
- This article discusses how weight can be controlled by mechanisms in the brain.
- Whole Brain Interpreter
- Article discusses split brain patients.
Emotion and Motivation
- Emotional Participation in Decision-Making
- This article discusses the amygdala's role in emotional assessments, the organization of emotional expression, the emotional experience, and the role of the frontal lobes in emotion.
- Basic Neural Processes Tutorials
- Learn about nerve and brain functioning.
- Brain Map
- Interactive graphic allows you to learn about the names and functions of different areas of the brain.
- Brain Study Module
- Site provides a colorful tutorial about the various structures of the brain.
- Comparative Brain Anatomy
- Site has information and images concerning the comparison of brains of different animals, the slicing of brains, and neurons. There is also a discussion relating brain size and structure to intelligence.
- Conversations with Neil's Brain
- A web book about "the neural nature of thought and learning.".
- Interactive Brain Atlas: The Digital Anatomist Project
- Site "contains 3-D computer graphic reconstructions of brain material; MRI scans; tissue sections, some enhanced with pathways; gross brain specimens and dissections; and summary drawings.".
- Milestones in Neuroscience Research
- This site provides a detailed timeline of the major events that occurred during the history of neuroscience.
- Montreal Neurological Institute - Brain Imaging Centre
- "The McConnell Brain Imaging Centre (BIC) is one of the largest scientific communities in North America dedicated solely to research imaging of the human brain.".
- Neural Transplantation and Recovery of Cognitive Function
- This article discusses the "cholinergic system, cerebral ischaemia, cognitive function, diffuse versus point-to-point neuronal systems, [and] neural
- Neuroanatomy Tutorial
- Tutorial provides an image of a human brain and lets you click on the various parts of the brain to discover what structure it is.
- Neuroscience for Kids
- Although this site is designed for kids, it is a vast resource for people of all ages. It contains information and diagrams about many neuroscience topics including brain structure, sleep, the spinal cord, the peripheral nervous system, the neuron, sensory systems, neuroscience methods and techniques, the effects of drugs on the nervous system, and neurological and mental disorders.
- On Climbing Fiber Signals and Their Consequences
- Article discusses the "cerebellum, Purkinje cells, mossy fibers, synchrony, complex spikes, simple spikes, movement, posture, inferior olive, eye movements, flocculus, [and] nodulus.".
- Recoverin and Ca2+ in Vertebrate Phototransduction
- Article discusses "recoverin, phototransduction, rods and cones, retina, guanylyl cyclase, rhodopsin kinase, phosphorylation, cyclic GMP, [and] phosphodiesterase.".
- The Action Potential
- Site provides an overview of the action potential process, and it also includes the "sounds" of an action potential.
- The Components of the Human Brain
- This site provides excellent figures and descriptions of the brain starting with the major divisions of the brain, then moving to subordinate structures and systems.
- The Detection and Generation of Sequences as a Key to Cerebellar Function
- Article discusses the "cerebellum; motor control; allometric relation; parallel fibers; synchronicity; spatio-temporal activity; sequence addressable memory; and cerebro-cerebellar interaction.".
- The Inner Life of Neurons
- Article briefly discusses how neurons work.
- The Whole Brain Atlas
- Information and impressive visuals related to brain physiology and disease.
- Site provides a number of unique tutorials and demonstrations that focus on various functions of the brain including sensation and perception, cognition, transmission of neural impulses, and learning.
Sleep and Dreaming
- Dream Warriors
- Article discusses the story of one researcher and one clinician who investigate the purpose of dreaming.
- Dreams: Info for Students
- Site describes how a person can perform a scientific study about dreams.
- Psychology, Culture, and Evolution
- This site discusses consciousness; the evolution of the brain, consciousness, language, and sociality; sleep paralysis; and nocturnal hallucinations.
- Sleep Deprivation
- This article discusses "what all undergraduates should know about how their sleeping lives affect their waking lives.".
- Sleep Medicine Homepage
- "This home page lists resources regarding all aspects of sleep including, the physiology of sleep, clinical sleep medicine, sleep research, federal and state information,
patient information, and business-related groups."
- The "Purpose" of Dreams
- Article discusses how some scientists believe that dreams do not have underlying meaning or purpose.
Please take a moment and tell us what you think of this resource
by filling in our feedback form.